One of the most devastating experiences in a person's life is discovering that the death of a loved one was due to someone else being careless or acting negligently. Losing companionship and financial support only compounds survivors' grief, at a time when they must also contend with the challenging task of managing funeral arrangements.
The lawyers at Salam & Associates, PC, know how overwhelming handling a loved one's death can be. Not only will you deal with insurance carriers and possibly investigators, but you may also have to handle being the executor of an estate in addition to dealing with your own grief.
If someone else's negligence led to your loved one's death, you may have questions about filing a wrongful death claim and how much compensation you could be awarded. We have the answers to your questions — all you have to do is ask. From our offices in Richardson, we serve throughout Texas and New Mexico. We can also arrange to meet clients in Las Cruces (by appointment only).
What Is Wrongful Death?
In both Texas and New Mexico, the wrongful death statute provides compensation to the family of a victim who died as a result of the wrongful acts, neglect or carelessness of another.
Negligent acts that can lead to the wrongful death of another include:
• Weaving in and out of traffic
• Failing to yield right of way
• Failing to correct an automotive defect
• Cutting corners to save money
• Hiring unskilled employees
• Allowing workers to continue working in unsafe working conditions
• Failing to provide adequate safety equipment
• Ignoring warning signs of an impending accident
• Releasing a dangerous drug on the market
• Failing to perform extensive safety testing on a product
• Failing to warn consumers about a dangerous product
• Failing to remedy hazardous conditions on a property
• Training a dog to be aggressive or failing to warn visitors about a dangerous dog
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death?
Who can sue for wrongful death depends on the state in which you live:
• Texas — A claim may be filed by a decedent's surviving spouse, children or parents. If none of these parties files a claim within three months after their loved one's death, the personal representative of the estate may file a claim, unless requested not to.
• New Mexico — A claim must be filed by the personal representative of a decedent's estate, which can include a surviving spouse. If a settlement is awarded, it will be held by the estate and distributed to surviving family members.
Don't Hesitate to File a Claim
Texas and New Mexico have statutes of limitations on wrongful death claims:
• Texas — Within two years of a deceased person's death
• New Mexico — Within three years of a deceased person's death
We will make sure you file your claim within this defined period of time so that you don't miss out on your chance to recover compensation and hold the at-fault party liable for his or her negligence.
We Will Hold Negligent Parties Responsible
For attorney Fatima Hassan-Sallam, seeing you through this difficult time is her top priority. She will do everything in her power to make you feel like you're not alone in your fight for justice.
Fatima Hassan-Sallam's 25 years of experience handling a variety of personal injury claims give her tremendous insight into the strategies at-fault parties use to shirk responsibility after an accident. She can aggressively advocate on your behalf, whether a fatal accident involved:
• Distracted or reckless motorists, including drunk drivers and intoxicated boat operators
• Product manufacturers, including pharmaceutical companies, manufacturers of children's toys and home goods, and car part companies
• Negligent employers, including construction companies, manufacturers and oil and gas companies
• Negligent property owners, including commercial retailers, landlords and pet owners
Talk to Lawyers Who Truly Care
We will make sure you're not alone in the fight to recover compensation for the loss of your loved one.
To schedule a free 30-minute initial consultation, call 972-437-1900 or send us an email. Appointments are available. We serve clients throughout each state and will travel to you for your convenience. Hablamos español.